Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Ra ra ra sis boom bah!


Well I did what I said I wouldn't do, I put Taylor on the competition cheer team. I swore I wouldn't do it because she is so young and it is really expensive, but when I saw how much she loved it, and how much talent she has I couldn't not take that next step. Whoo!! Scary. The fees are crazy....I mean insane...but there are fundraising opportunities galore. There is tagging...which is standing in front of businesses basically begging for money...(hey it actually works)..right now we are selling raffle tickets and the winner gets a gift certificate for 25 lobsters....no kidding!! Taylor gets to keep 95% of the money she earns for selling them. Then there is Scentsy flames less candles...and other things I can't name right now....

So what does competition cheering involve? It involves extensive tumbling training, and by tumbling I mean all out floor gymnastics. She will be taught how to do all those moves that the elite gymnasts do on their floor routines.....WOW! She will also is she so desire
s to learn, be taught to be a flyer....you know the cheerleaders who go flying up into the air and be caught by people who hopefully won't drop her?.....yeah, there are reasons that the parents are not allowed to watch the practices...I'm not sure I could handle seeing my baby girl tossed into the air like a rag doll and go hurtling toward the floor....my heart beats faster just thinking about it. Oh did I mention there will be traveling and hotel costs incurred...no, yeah well thankfully my two besties daughters are also on the same team as Taylor, so traveling costs will be cut by half or 2/3...thank you very much!! There will also be exhibitions that we will have to make ourselves available for. And if they qualify next year they will be going to US finals in Virginia Beach.....Whoo Hoo!!!!! Can you say ROAD TRIP!! So her schedule is crazy...tumbling Monday,Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday for 1 1/2 hrs. Wednesday is practice for 2 1/2 hours...
Oh Lord what have I gotten myself into. This is truly a sacrifice for the family, because Steve still works out of state I have to take Meg and Kaleb with us to practices....and it is BORING for them....but this is a fantastic opportunity for Taylor and I just couldn't pass it up. They have been working her really hard at tumbling so much so that her muscles are sore, but soon she will be accustomed to all the stretching and bending and flipping and such. I am really proud of her she is a brave little trooper and is so excited about what she is doing!!

There she is above in her learn to cheer uniform at the Maine Event Family and Friends show. In August she will receive her new uniform, which I can't wait to see. She was trying for the "I'm a big cheerleader smirk" she didn't quite pull it off...she wanted to SMILE!!

By the way if anyone wants to buy some raffle tickets for 25 lobsters, just message me and let know, I have to have the money turned in by July 1 and the drawing is on July 2. ($1 for 1, $5 for 6) ...yes I am shamelessly trying to sell tickets on my blog....

No comments: